Vegan Carrot and Peanut Butter Cake with Lemon Cream Frosting
Prep/Cooling time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 1hr 10 mins
Ready in: 1 hr 50 mins
For the cake - Wet ingredients
- 2 large grated carrots
- 3 tbsp fruit syrup
- 1/3 brown sugar
- 1/3 regular caster sugar
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 small or ½ a large apple
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- ¾ inch ginger
- ½ cup Utta Nutta peanut butter
- ½ cup almond milk
For the cake - Dry ingredients
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup peanuts, chopped into quarters
- 1/3 cup currants
For the icing
- 80g regular vegan butter, chilled
- 65g icing sugar
- 25ml almond milk
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Grease an ordinary loaf tin and line with grease proof paper, preheat the oven to 365 degrees Fahrenheit/185 degrees Celsius.
- Grate the carrots and place into a bowl, then add the Utta Nutta peanut butter, fruit syrup, sugar, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix well. Leave to rest for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a food processor, pulse together the apple, chopped carrot, flax, ginger and almond milk until pureed. Add to the rest of the wet ingredients and mix.
- In a separate bowl, weigh out the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix together using an electric hand mixer until all the flour has been absorbed, leaving no streaks behind.
- Fold into the mixture the peanuts and currants and put the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth out the surface to ensure that it rises evenly.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes in the preheated oven until a skewer comes out clean when placed into the loaf.
- Take out the cake and leave until it’s completely cool before icing and decorating.
- For the icing, whip the vegan butter until smooth for a maximum of 30 seconds on a low speed.
- Then beat in the icing sugar until the mixture is one even colour, whilst regularly scraping down the sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula.
- Finally beat in the almond milk and then fold in the lemon zest.
Spread over the cooled loaf and decorate.